Friday 2 September 2011

Photographing Grey Seals

In order to photograph portraits of Grey Seals I have one trick which I try to use as much as possible! I get my lens as low to the ground/water surface as possible! I lie on my front holding my camera just above the water surface, I stand waist deep in the sea in a wetsuit or I might scarifice getting soaked by a wave if it means I can get a certain angle. I have been so low in the past that a large wave has raised the seal above my level and I have been looking up at it! 

By getting low you are basically erasing the background of the image. You are causing the background to be far in the distance because you are down at water level. This helps the subject to stand out and therefore can be easily viewed with in the image. For more information on this topic please visit, the tutorials section of my website at: www.samstewartphoto.org

The image below is taken at a very low angle and I am in fact lying flat to the ground on the edge of a wave cut platform. Hopefully this information is helpful to you and please remember seals should never be disturbed while taking photographs. Make no sudden movements and try to not make direct eye contact as this often causes them to spook. 



No comments:

Post a Comment